Donald Trump announces 10% global tariff after supreme court blocks signature trade policy

U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff” under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a central pillar of his trade agenda.

The announcement followed a 6-3 ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States, which invalidated tariffs Trump had imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). The court ruled that IEEPA does not authorize the president to impose tariffs, delivering a significant legal setback to the administration’s “reciprocal” import duties and drug-trafficking-related tariffs.

Speaking at a White House press briefing, Trump criticized the ruling as “deeply disappointing” and vowed to pursue alternative legal avenues to maintain his tariff strategy.

“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country,” Trump said, adding that he would move forward with new tariffs without seeking congressional approval.

Trump specifically criticized Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett, both of whom he nominated, after they joined the majority opinion striking down the tariffs.

The president said he would invoke Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 to impose a 10% global tariff above existing rates. Tariffs enacted under Section 122 can remain in place for up to 150 days unless extended by Congress.

Asked about the statutory time limit and whether he would seek legislative support, Trump said, “We have the right to do pretty much what we want to do.”

He added that tariffs currently active under Sections 232 and 301 of U.S. trade law would remain “in full force and effect.” Section 232 tariffs, typically tied to national security concerns, and Section 301 tariffs, used to address alleged unfair trade practices, have been key components of Trump’s broader trade policy.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking shortly afterward at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the administration intends to replace the voided IEEPA tariffs by leveraging other existing trade statutes.

“Doing so will result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026,” Bessent said. “No one should expect that the tariff revenue will go down.”

The Supreme Court’s decision invalidated tariffs that had generated a substantial share of U.S. customs revenue last year. Legal experts say the ruling could have far-reaching implications for executive authority in trade matters, potentially limiting the scope of emergency economic powers available to the president.

Trump, however, remained defiant, insisting that alternative legal mechanisms would ensure continued tariff collections.

“Other alternatives will now be used to replace the ones that the court incorrectly rejected,” he said. “We’ll take in more money, and we’ll be a lot stronger for it.”

The ruling and subsequent tariff announcement inject fresh uncertainty into global trade flows and financial markets, as businesses assess the impact of potential new levies layered on top of existing duties.

Economists warn that additional across-the-board tariffs could raise import costs and affect supply chains, while supporters argue they may bolster domestic manufacturing and federal revenue.

The latest developments set the stage for renewed legal and political battles over the scope of presidential trade authority and the long-term direction of U.S. economic policy.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *