The Federal Government has commenced a full-scale investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised following a suspected toxic gas exposure.
Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, on Thursday led a federal delegation to the affected site, represented by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Faruk Yabo. The team included the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as officials of the Plateau State Government.
The tragedy occurred in the early hours of Tuesday and is believed to have been caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions within the mining pit. Authorities, however, said investigations are ongoing to ascertain the exact cause of the incident.

Addressing members of the community upon arrival, the minister described the loss as devastating and extended condolences to families who lost loved ones.
“It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission to determine what went wrong and to ensure such a disaster does not recur,” he said.
Alake expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company linked to the site, stressing that licence holders are responsible for enforcing safety standards and ensuring proper monitoring of mining operations.

He added that preliminary security reports suggested possible non-compliance with safety regulations, particularly at illegal mining sites operating in the area. According to him, illegal mining continues to undermine regulatory efforts and expose miners to significant risks.
The Assistant Commandant of Corps and National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Attah Onoja, said the incident reinforced the Federal Government’s resolve to eliminate illegal mining activities across the country.
He assured that the outcome of the investigation would be fully implemented and called for stronger collaboration among security agencies, host communities and relevant stakeholders to ensure a safer mining environment.
Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, said while mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List, stricter implementation of the Mining Act 2007 was necessary to protect lives.

Gwom noted that the state government had begun organising artisanal miners into cooperatives as part of efforts to formalise operations and improve safety standards. He added that miners were being provided with training, safety gear and access to micro-loans to reduce dependence on unsafe practices.
“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said, emphasising that Plateau’s mineral wealth should serve as a source of development rather than tragedy.
Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected families and the people of Wase Local Government Area. She reiterated the importance of adhering strictly to mining regulations and recalled the governor’s earlier decision to suspend illegal mining activities in the state to enhance safety and regulatory compliance.
The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended both federal and state authorities for their swift response to the incident. He described the tragedy as a heavy blow to the community, noting that many of the victims were breadwinners.
Receiving the delegation on behalf of bereaved families, traditional ruler Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris expressed appreciation for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact of the disaster. He said numerous women had been widowed and several children left fatherless, creating urgent social and economic challenges for the community.
He appealed to the government to provide immediate support to affected families and to improve road infrastructure in the area to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations.
As investigations continue, authorities say the findings will guide further regulatory action aimed at preventing similar tragedies and strengthening oversight in Nigeria’s mining sector.