UN releases emergency funds as Ebola outbreak spreads in eastern Congo

The United Nations has released about US$60 million in emergency funding and deployed additional staff to the Democratic Republic of Congo as authorities scramble to contain a fast-moving Ebola outbreak that has already killed more than 160 people, officials said Friday.

The funding, drawn from the UN’s emergency response mechanisms, is aimed at scaling up surveillance, treatment, and containment measures in eastern Congo, where insecurity and population movements are complicating efforts to track infections.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

UN aid chief said the priority was to get ahead of the outbreak before it spreads further across borders and into densely populated areas.

“We need to get ahead of this Ebola outbreak,” Fletcher said in a post on X. “These are tough operating environments for lifesaving work. We face conflict and high population movement.”

The outbreak has emerged in the conflict-affected Ituri province in eastern, a region where armed group activity and displacement have repeatedly hampered disease control operations in the past.

Health authorities have reported 670 suspected cases and at least 160 suspected deaths so far, making it one of the most serious Ebola flare-ups in the country in recent years.

Experts say the outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of, a rare variant for which there is currently no approved vaccine, raising concerns among epidemiologists about containment challenges.

According to health investigators, the virus is believed to have circulated undetected for nearly two months before being identified last week, increasing fears that it may already have spread more widely than confirmed case numbers suggest.

The Bundibugyo strain was first identified in Uganda in 2007 and is considered less common than other Ebola variants, but it remains highly dangerous, with a significant case fatality rate and limited medical countermeasures.

Humanitarian agencies warn that the combination of armed conflict, weak health infrastructure, and population displacement in eastern Congo creates ideal conditions for rapid disease transmission.

Many affected communities are located in remote areas with limited access to healthcare facilities, while ongoing insecurity has forced some clinics to reduce operations or close entirely.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the emergency funding would support rapid deployment of medical teams, expansion of treatment centres, and reinforcement of contact tracing systems.

It will also help fund infection prevention measures, community awareness campaigns, and logistical support for delivering medical supplies to hard-to-reach areas.

Health workers on the ground face significant risks, not only from the virus itself but also from insecurity in parts of Ituri province where armed groups remain active.

International health agencies are working alongside Congolese authorities to isolate cases and trace contacts, a process complicated by high mobility among displaced populations fleeing violence in the region.

Public health experts say early detection and rapid isolation remain critical to preventing wider transmission, particularly in regions where cross-border movement into neighbouring countries is frequent.

The outbreak comes at a time when global health agencies are already stretched by multiple concurrent emergencies, including other infectious disease outbreaks and the lingering impacts of recent pandemics.

Officials warn that without swift containment, the situation could escalate into a regional health emergency affecting neighbouring countries in East and Central Africa.

The World Health Organization and partner agencies are expected to increase technical support in coming days, including deployment of epidemiologists, laboratory specialists, and emergency logisticians.

Despite the challenges, UN officials say lessons learned from previous Ebola outbreaks in the region provide a framework for response, particularly in areas such as contact tracing and community engagement.

However, they caution that insecurity and mistrust in some communities remain major obstacles to effective containment.

For now, the focus remains on rapidly scaling up response capacity to prevent further spread of the virus and reduce fatalities in one of the world’s most fragile humanitarian settings.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *